Monday, November 29, 2010

Pumpkin Marshmallow Cupcakes

Sorry, I'm posting this one a week late but last week Kaia and I made Pumpkin Marshmallow Cupcakes.  We got the recipe from Cupcakes Galore by Gail Wagman.

You can also make them Pumpkin Pecan but we chose Marshmallow for something different.

Here is the recipe:
Ingredients for 16 cupcakes (I yielded 20):

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 cup, or 1 stick, unsalted butter at room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup cooked or canned pumpkin (I used a whole can which was probably too much)
1 cup chopped pecans, any other type of nut, raisins, or mini-marshmallows

Preheat oven to 350.  Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and spices - set aside.  Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time mixing well after each addition.  Add vanilla and pumpkin and beat until smooth.  Add dry ingredients.  Fold in nuts, raisins, or mini-marshmallows.  Spoon batter into cupcake papers, filling cups about 2/3 full.  Smooth batter with the back of a spoon.  Bake for 30 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.  Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.

Here's a picture of what they look like when they come out of the oven

They look like they'd taste delicious.  They didn't :(  But, it might have just been because I wasn't loving the combo of marshmallow and pumpkin together.  Especially considering the cupcakes turned out a bit heavier than I had hoped for again. 

The cream cheese frosting came out pretty well.  The recipe I used for that was from cupcakes: Luscious bakeshop favorites from your home kitchen by Shelly Kaldunski.  It tasted pretty good but I did not like it as the other cream cheese frosting I've made.

Ingredients (makes 2 cups):

12 oz cream cheese, at room temperature (I used 8 oz because that's all I had)
6 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup confectioner's sugar

In a bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla together on medium-high until light and fluffy - about 2 minutes.  Gradually beat in sugar and mix until thoroughly combined; scrape down the sides of bowl as needed.  Use right away, or if too soft, refrigerate until spreadable, about 15 minutes.

And Frosted


3 comments:

Elizabeth-FlourishinProgress said...

Bummer! This combo sounds like it would be amazing. You had me at MARSHMALLOW!

Alex said...

YAy! I just realized you had this blog too.. Awesome. I will try one of your recipes :).. Thats one thing I was to start doing.

Thanks for the insperation!

TheBabyMammaChronicles said...

Thanks for supporting me over here ladies!